Saturday, May 12, 2012

Dear Maggie Montclair,

 I have had several wonderful vacations with my widowed and Red Hat friends.  We laughed off the hassles of getting through airport security and helped each other gather our belongings.  There were always a few of us with artificial hips and knees so I didn't feel embarrassed when I was pulled aside for further inspection.


  My daughter wants me to fly across the country and visit her for a month.  I would love to be with her and my grandchildren, but to be honest, I'm afraid to fly alone.


  Every news show is talking about terrorists putting bombs on planes that may not be detected by security.  That scares me to death!  I'll be singled out because of my hip and knee replacements, and taking off my shoes is difficult while standing in line.  I don't like to be barefoot or in my stocking feet in a dirty airport.


  I can't manage walking very far with any luggage, so I check everything except my purse and a jacket.  The planes are often cold, and they charge for a pillow and blanket.  I'm wondering if a vacation is worth all this stress.  Do I stay home or go even though I'm terrified to try it a alone?


                                                              Not Flying Solo




Dear Reluctant  Flier,


  I understand your dilemma.  Everything is more fun and easier with a group of friends.


  You did not mention your age or health so this is a decision you will have to make entirely on your own.  Write down the pros and cons, and decide what you can do without getting so upset that you get sick.


  Maybe having a cell phone with you will give you the confidence you need, or if a grandchild is old enough, you could ask them to fly to you and then back with you.  Of course, you would have to fly home alone or buy yet another round trip ticket.  I guess that would depend on your finances and the age of your grandchildren.  I know you will think it through and make the best decision for your situation.


  Readers:  Do you have any hints that make traveling easier for you?    M




P.S.  Gertie flies all over the world with groups and alone.  She has a simple outlook.  When it's your time to go, you will go.  Until then, she enjoys everyday no matter where she is.  She wears loafers to travel and packs her walking shoes in her checked luggage.  When she purchases her ticket she makes arrangements for a wheel chair assistance.  Of course, she always tips well.


  She told me, "Travel time is your enemy only if you let it run or ruin your vacation.  When delays happen, and they will, just figure it was for a good reason, and look for a better outcome."   Instead of coming home exhausted, she comes back refreshed and full of stories.  


  Gertie has experienced everything from volcanic ash to earthquakes and met scores of interesting people along the way.  Her daughters say she wouldn't call them for help if her leg was caught in a bear trap!  She may seem fearless, but in actuality, she is overflowing with faith.  What a way to live!